Protein: The Superstar Food.
Protein is great when trying to lose those extra kilos but it has other benefits. Protein is essential to repair and build muscles, the breakdown and repair of muscles is happening all the time so you need adequate amounts of protein in the day as it is not stored in the body. Because protein takes time to break down it keeps you feeling satisfied for longer and your blood sugar steady. Studies have shown that when you increase your protein from 10 to 15 percent you eat around 1,000 fewer kilojoules. Protein is also linked to the manufacture of enzymes and hormones and because it boosts your immune system is also important in fighting colds, flu’s and other sicknesses. Some recent research has found a strong link to reduced blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides: all of which are risk factors for heart disease. No wonder protein can be regarded as a superstar!
It’s important that you eat the right protein. It’s best to get your protein from a variety of sources and not rely on one or two. Here are some of the best sources:
- Fish: Try to avoid farm fed fish as it is high in omega 6 which is an inflammatory agent
- Poultry: Good lean protein especially if you remove the skin
- Red Meat: Grass fed is best as grain fed has higher amounts of the inflammatory agent, omega 6
- Pulses: Have the additional benefit of being high in fibre, vitamins and minerals
- Cheese: Avoid low fat as the fat is replaced by sugar.
All the above foods are great for protein, avoid eating too much of any of them. Remember they work best when eaten in moderation.